Tuesday, June 16, 2009

We're Here!

Part II: Day 1

We arrived last night around 7 p.m. at the clinic. It looks the same, but the city has a different feel. Is it us? Being more settled and familiar, knowing what to expect? Or is the city more vibrant, alive and almost happier? Not sure which one. Our driver, Victor, said the state has taken over the city, there is a lot less violence and many of the cartel have been captured. He said one guy ran from "la policia federal," had facial surgery and when he was captured, they had to do DNA tests on him to make sure it was really him. I still say that kind of stuff happens in movies, but according to Victor, it happens right here, in the city we're in right now. So, I'm not sure why it feels different this time around - maybe a little of both.

The trip here was mostly uneventful. I got my brand new, ten-dollar bottle of friggin' lotion taken from me at security. I had just bought the bottle when we left for the airport, it was less than two hours old. Honest to God, those damn terrorists. I tell ya...I was not happy about it at all. The TSA big-head said it was because I could have some explosive in there that could disable the plane, therefore it was a security threat. Andrea says, "Mom, he's a cop. You have to listen to him." I was too quick to point out he was actually not a cop, just TSA. He lovingly dumped my lotion in the garbage and asked me to move a long. Seems to me that someone is just a little high on his horse. Hope he falls...into a big vat of Aveeno, ten-dollar lotion.

We are staying in "the house" while at the clinic. It's a little different than the apartment, I'd show you pictures, but I stupidly assumed the camera cord was actually in the camera case when in reality it's still in the AV drawer in the table in the living room at home. Therefore, I cannot download any pictures until I get a new cord. Maybe when we get to San Diego this weekend, I can find one. Anyway, the house has three bedrooms, kitchen, living room and bathroom. We have two emergency exits (back doors). It's nice. Andrea and Carl like it, John wants the apartment, but he's not one for change. The more consistency in his world, the better. He'll get over it, I'm sure.

John had his first treatment this morning...he also had blood drawn and he handled it way better than our newest friend, Larry. Larry is 72 years old (a year younger than last year; a real, live Benjamin Button in our midst). See, when he was talking with Secorra (the secretary), they were discussing their ages. They were both born in 1937 but Secorra was 72, whereas Larry insisted he was 73. Some time deep in the night, he woke up really contemplating this mystery. Since it was just plaguing him, he got up, got out the calculator and did the math (see, Ron, I'm not the only math-idiot around). He lost a year at midnight! This place really does produce miralces!

Anyway, John was much braver in his blood draw and catheter placement than Larry. Yes, both needed hands to hold, but John didn't whine or become pale. He watched Elias' needle placement with hawk-like eyes and breathed a sigh of relief when it was in and done. He did great! His ears, cheeks, knees and elbows turned bright red during treatment - a sign his body was accepting all the vitamins and minerals well.

Andrea is bored stiff. I'm contemplating letting her hang in San Diego with her cousin, Rachel for a few days. We'll see. I think being bored may be good for her. Plus, trying new things is always good for anyone. She's going to have to get used to new and unusual things if we go to China.

Well, I need to get a move on. We're making spaghetti for dinner (because the dining room is serving mushrooms and cheese for dinner - even thinking about it makes me gag) and the noodles just finished boiling. So, more tomorrow.

Adios!

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear you arrived safe and sound. Working in a children's hospital I can tell you that kids handle needles much better than adults. Way to go John. Praying that all goes well. Good luck with your training and diet. Tell Kristine Hi for me when you see her. You think the food is bad in Mexico wait til you get to China my global hero friend. Hang in there. Glenda

    ReplyDelete