Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Day 15: New Friends

Our beloved Joe from Oklahoma. Joe and John spent almost every evening together playing cards, watching "guy" movies, football and playing Call of Duty on Joe's PS3. Joe left for home today. We'll miss you Joe!!





Deke and Becky from Maryland. Deke brought Whooping Cranes to Wisconsin!







Wade and Ann from Canada - ultramarathoner








Many people have moved into the clinic. Today, in the treatment,there was a line for treatment. There are 11 recliner chairs for patients to relax in during treatment and they were all full. Even some of the boring wooden chairs were taken. We were told this is how it would be now for the next few months. There are many people here for cancer, there are also people here for stroke, CP (cerebral palsy) and MS (multiple sclerosis). It's hard to stay positive with all the sadness surrounding us. One lady who's been coming here for many years got news today that her breast cancer is back and now it's spread into her lung. She's the only patient we've heard of or known where the cancer came back. With all the people here, one is a pretty good statistic. I'm sure she didn't want to be that statistic (no one does) but in the big scheme of things, one is good. Most likely she'll be put into remission again following the program here. Regardless, everyone has a positive attitude. There's a lot of faith running around here.
We met a guy today, Deke, from Maryland. He suffered a massive stroke a few months ago and is undergoing stem cell transplant to help his brain recover. He has a PhD in something or another and was instrumental in setting up the Whooping Crane recovery program in Necedah, WI but he can't speak a word and needs help walking. But he is positive the doctors here will make him better. He just wants to talk to his new wife. Another guy, Wade, is here with colon cancer. He believes his cancer came from years of chronic constipation (he's the epitome of my fears for John). He, too, is getting stem cell transplant. He, too, has an unshakable faith that he'll be cured here, too. When he's not managing his 8 million Super Suds Car Wash (he's from Alberta, Canada and it seems cars - who knew they had them up there! - get dirty, too), he runs ultramarathons - 250K across deserts, over mountains, in remote jungles. Wowza. There are some truly fascinating people here. Just like John is considered fascinating (and who am I to argue!?). All the patients are so impressed that he deals with his treatments like a king. They all appreciate his quiet presence when the adults are all talking about nutrition, sleepless nights and being apart from families. They all especially love his bright smile and sincere laugh. It's nice to have a kid around with all us serious adults. We also have three new sets of Amish people here. Indiana, Ohio and Wisconsin (Cashton). I love, love, love! talking with them. They are just a fascinating bunch of people to me. All have cancer. And all are quite rascally. They are surely not as serious as we see them to be in English society. :)
Today we discovered some food we like. Woo-hoo! At lunch we had potato lasagna...layers of potatoes with veggies, cheese (Mexican cheese, not American) and a side of broccoli. For dessert (dessert at every meal - don't get that at home!) they gave us sliced bananas in a ginger-orange sauce. Either we're finally becoming accustomed to the food here (or maybe we're just plain hungry) or it really was good!
While our lives may seem pretty boring, all this info makes for a very full day. I'm beginning to think the stress and rush of our daily life in America contributes to many our ailments. That said, I think I'm going to need a nap everyday around 11 and 3, I'm going to need 4-6 organic meals prepared for me daily and my mode of transportation will be "meander." No more texting, emailing and talking on the phone at the same time. No more teaching and signing at the same time. No more 2 hour stressful meetings. No more relentless paperwork. Sorry. Mexican time is a good time!
Oh my Gosh! I almost forgot!! Steven Bradley - if you are reading this: THANK YOU!!!! You are the sweetest, kindest, most sensitive person I've met in a long, long time! We got your card today and are looking forward to the James Bond book - John is beside himself with anticipation. The card was soooo cool! We loved that panther lounging in the tree. How cool! Thank you from the bottom of my heart for thinking of John and corresponding with him.
Thank you, too, to Karissa for your wonderful letter and word searches for John. You kept us busy today looking for all the states and sports. You are TOO sweet for taking the time to find such fun activities for John to do! You know him well, too, as word searches are his favorite. We shared your beautiful photo with our friends, as well. The Mexican staff were in love with your golden hair. :)

For 5B: (John's class):
Thanks for great notes! I've been to the beach - we went to a dog beach. It's called Solana Beach. I saw a really cute beagle and dalmatian mix dog when I was there. The water was freezing! I put my feet in and when I got out, my feet were numb. I'm doing my homework. I'm done with adjectives and stuff. I worked on DPP's today. Please keep writing. I'll be back in 2 weeks, on Monday Jan 29. I have a Mexican treat for everyone.

5 comments:

  1. Hey guys, so glad you got the card, the address i sent that and book to seem different to one at top of the blog!

    I never quite seem to get things to right!!!!!
    So glad you got it and you like it! As for hospital food...i knew i'd been in hospital to long when i started to enjoy the food! Take it easy guys and keep smiling!
    All the best from UK.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey John,
    I am glad you love the word searches. Were you were using those cool crayons you got in that package from your aunt. Tracie I am glad you were sharing my picture with other people. Hope to see you home soon. -Karissa

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey mom. i looked at the pix below and i told dad," wow i haven't seen her in such a long time, i forgot how short she is..." yeah i truly forgot how short you were!! :)
    love you
    andrea

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just ask Dad to stand next to you and bend so he's a head below you. He should also use a higher pitched voice when speaking and you'll have me! It will help you remember me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'll be sure to try that...!! hee hee
    anj

    ReplyDelete