Thursday, January 15, 2009

Day 17: La Bufadora (The Blowhole)


No, I'm talking about some patient here that won't shut up. Or a doctor full of hot air. Not at all. I'm talking about a real, life blowhole located in Ensenada, MX. It's about two hours south of here, right along the coast. It's one of seven in the world (or so we're told). The blowhole is actually a very small crack in the rocks that line the coast. When the tide crashes against the rocks, it forces the water up and out...the water blows out the rock. It was really cool!





After we (Viola, Delilah, Norma, Dave, Tom and us) saw the blowhole, we shopped a little bit along the main road...ugh! I hate the Mexican vendors. They don't let up! One guy wouldn't let me leave his shop and repeatedly asked me to spend my money in Mexcio. I took out my "teacher voice" and gave him a little talk about how I AM spending my money in Mexico and plenty of it! I told him to back off and that no meant no! He put his hands up and said in the best Valley voice I've heard in a long time, "Well, Oh My God!" I stomped off just peeved. What a jerk. We found a nice little restaurant right next to the ocean. We ate a nice lunch and watched about 25 whales swimming near the cove, blowing their water. It was so cool! I felt like we were in the Mediterrean. The sun was shining on the water, making it shimmer like diamonds. The rolling hills were draped like a soft blanket around the water and there were beautiful white houses dotted along the hillside. We could hear the surf crashing below us and see it hitting the rock outcroppings. It was just so surreal. Our driver, Victor, was sharing stories about growing up in Ensenada (now he lives in Tijuana). John was thrilled to be able to order some chicken nuggets. His thrill was squashed just a little when his order arrived with rice, refried beans and salad. No fries here! Interestingly, after two weeks of organic, whole food the nuggets didn't agree with him very well. He got a pretty good tummy ache but dealt with it like the little man he is. There were no public bathrooms there, either. If you had to go, you paid .50 (American) to use the toilet and .25-.50 for toilet paper. One toilet we went into even charged extra if you wanted the toilet seat!!











After Ensenada, we drove to the beach - La Mission. We stuck our feet in the water and we played football a little bit. The water was a bit chilly - 58 or so. Nothing that a little wetsuit couldn't handle! Right, Ron - we've done colder!

1 comment:

  1. John,
    Thanks for the message! I love you too and you look bigger......

    ReplyDelete