Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Day 16: We Eat Cactus

Yup, you read it right. For dinner they served us cactus. Oh yeah, and lentils. Holy man, do I want a steak! When you can't have something, you want it all that much more. Before dinner, we just hung around the clinic, talking with all the new people here. John played dice and cards, too. Worked on school stuff and did some word searches. I did some sprints on the treadmill. Pretty low key. I tried chelation today. It's where they use an IV to push a mineral (forgot the name) through your veins. This mineral adheres to the toxins and heavy metals in your system and takes them out (you end up peeing - a lot!). It took 3 1/2 hours to complete and I hated every minute of it. It tasted funny and it made my arm very, very cold. After that was done, they gave me a dose of calcium cuz this mineral latches onto calcium and takes that, too. They replaced what it took. I'm not doing it again. Here are some pictures from today:


John having a hissy fit cuz he just learned he can't have grilled cheese for 51 more days. Grilled cheese is not exactly a healthy food (sorry grilled cheese fans), therefore not allowed. He was jumping around, using a pillow to cover his mouth to scream, "I want grilled cheese!" Remember what I said earlier: To not be allowed makes you want it more.






John and his doctor, Dr. Vasquez








Spaceman Spiff taking off for Mars. (John is in the hyperbaric chamber. This thing forces air into his blood cells, encouraging them to do their job and make him well again.)





Playing a dice game with a new friend (I cannot remember her name, but she's a teacher in an Amish school. How cool is that?!) on the back patio.

2 comments:

  1. I remember the name of the woman John is playing dice with in the last picture...VIOLA! Yea me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to see all the pictures! It looks very beautiful there. Schools were cancelled today and tomorrow in Gtown because it is soooo cold here. (Abby was very happy) They are warning people about going out to get the mail and frost bite! Yikes!!

    Love, samantha

    Start thinking of bday ideas. Yours is right around the corner.

    ReplyDelete